The Church of the Assumption, Taghmon is in the townland of Parsonstown. It replaced the church at Sheefin as the main church of the parish. It was an ’emancipation church.’ Following Catholic emancipation in 1828, there was a widespread campaign of church construction in Ireland.
It was built to an unusual design, with the church and parochial house under the same roofline, perhaps in imitation of the old St. Munna’s Church with its tower house attached. On the east face of the church, a cut stone plaque reads, “Dedicated 1844. A. McAlroy, Pastore.”
The belfry stands alone to the north of the church, a common feature in Roman Catholic churches in the early 19th century.
Priests who have served in Taghmon since the church was built: